This year we opted for a quiet, hand-out-candy Halloween. Julianna LOVED it and so did Ava. After each trick-or-treater Julianna would say, "I think there's another person coming." Not wanting the night to end. Both girls were quite taken with the parade of colorful costumes. That is...until the kid with a white face and faux nails in his scalp came to the door. Ava froze in an instant. The look on her face said, "If he takes one step closer to me I will lose it." Rapid breathing, near tears. Thankfully, he took his candy and left. But it was a close one.
We had many, many more knocks on the door. Including my personal favorite, "Mr. Blimpy." A jolly little fourth grader dressed up like...well, a blimp. His costume actually had some kind of air machine inside which blew his costume up like a balloon. (Visualize Violet Bauregarde in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) I have to say, as he walked down the sidewalk under the street lights, his tubby little silhouette gave me quite a chuckle. : )