
Today we held a baby shower in honor of Nikki and Jamie (my sister and brother-in-law). They are expecting a little girl in the spring. Her name will be Lainey Grace. They've been working ever so hard on Lainey's room and it shows! Jamie has built some great shelving units and it's a good thing because they hauled in the gifts today! : )
The shower was everything that Cindy, Kimberlee, and I could have wanted. It went soooo smoothly. A little over sixty ladies came to celebrate and chat the afternoon away. We decorated the fellowship hall with round linen tables, roses, ribbon, and berry garland. We wanted it soft, sweet, and elegant, just like Nikki. : )
A long time ago, Nikki told me she really liked rolled fondant cakes. So, with that in mind, I embarked on a great adventure! Several batches of sugar paste, royal & butter cream frosting, white cake batter, and one trial run later...we had a cake. From four cake books (courtesy of our public library) I've learned all sorts of new techniques, vocabulary, websites, but mostly new-found appreciation for all those special event bakers and pastry chefs! What made me most happy was that Nikki loved it and I was able to give her a special, unexpected gift. I just love that girl. Even if she wasn't my sister-in-law, she'd be my friend.
I guess you could call it a "sweet success." : ) suh-weet!
* Special thanks to JW and her friend Ann for their great input, Chad for his patience, and my mom for coming in at the eleventh hour to support!


