- Julianna amazes me with her command of the English language. She can verbalize most every need, asks the most tremendous questions, and has a memory like a vice. Truly. Amazing.
- She works SO well with other children. She is beyond patient for her age. Takes joy is sharing. Stands up for herself and doesn't let just anybody snatch something away without a firm, "Cooz' me. Dat mine, please."
- She loves to go on trips anywhere. She's always up for a jaunt in the car. Though, isn't always ready to "look at houses" unless there happens to be a park in said neighborhood.
- Though she is FULL of energy, FULL I say, she is very cautious with new people and in new situations. She observes carefully from a distance and doubles back to make sure she has my stamp of approval.
- She minds me in public very well, to date. We've had few if any meltdowns in grocery aisles, parking lots, toy stores, playgrounds, toy sections of stores, etc...etc... Crying yes, tantrums no.
- She seems to accept "no" pretty well. And believe me there is very little sugar coating that goes on with this momma. Kindness? Of course. Sugar coating? Don't count on it.
- She LOVES books and looks forward to her weekly library day. We have a terrific little class we attend. Everyone is very accepting of Ava, too. Even with some squirms and giggles and squawks.
- Even though Ava has taken to the streets (crawling) and this has posed some minor inconveniences for Julianna (i.e., toy grabbing, toy sharing), Jules has handled it very well. Sure there is your common leg pulling whilst Ava struggles in vain to make forward progress. But, that just comes with the territory.
- Julianna has an EAGLE eye for anything Ava has or is considering putting in her mouth. A siren is probably the best way to describe the sound she makes to alert me.
- Julianna has a joyful countenance. (Minus the first ten minutes of the day until she has a change, a bagel, and a small jug of soymilk.) She laughs often and giggles in between.
- She's VERY dramatic with her imaginary play. And continues to be very into stacking and organizing things. Not that this organizes anything really...but you know what I mean.
- She's an AWESOME eater. Since she has some very specific foods she must avoid, it would be a literal nightmare if she didn't like most everything else I put in front of her. She's a champ at trying new foods, too. I made a tofu scramble the other night. It was a new recipe. In one word it was "vile." The spices were way too strong and way too abundant. That little girl choked down four bites before calling it quits. That's better than I can say. Then, she politely gagged, grimaced and said, "I'n done. Mommy, I no like this. Please can I have something I like."
- She's as cute as a button. She asked if we could go to her friend Jake's house to play. I said, "We might be going tonight." She put her index finger to her chin and sweetly said, "How about we're probab-wee going."
- She's not fully potty-trained...but we're getting close!
- We've found some FABULOUS skin cream for her. It works like a charm. We can't use it every day. On a couple days, off a week. But, it is so terrific. Many days she can't even tell she has eczema. Praise God!
THE BAD:
- Food Allergies still plague us. Stink.
- It seems like on some days what we lack in tantrums we have double-fold with whining.
- Jules has started waking every night at about midnight. This requires a song, some back rubbing, and zoom kisses. She's never in a good mood.
- She's obsessed with tv and asks to watch it ALL THE TIME.
- She has a terrifically difficult time when Chad and I try to hug or have a short conversation. She wants to be right in the middle all the time.
- She's never been a napper, she isn't a napper now, she will never be a napper. What were once three 30 minute naps became one 30 minute nap which now is 30 minutes of quiet time in her room. I've read all the books, I've tried all the strategies. It is what it is.
- After several trips to look at costumes, tens of ideas, hundreds of photos...we bought a princess gown that she loved. Today, she refuses to wear it and wants nothing to do with it. I'm thinking she'll go as a turkey. She won't need a costume for that one.
- She's into this door shutting thing. Every door she passes through she shuts.
- She's also into this high-pitched scream/singing. It seems to come out while I am making dinner.
THE SNUGLY:
- Jules has never been a snugler. As a baby she never sat on our lap and fell asleep on our shoulder. Never. Sleep always required some crying, nursing, rocking, walking, and often times all four over and over and over and over again. It wasn't until Chad found 'Hannah Montana' last year that she would sit for more than a minute on your lap. Well, today it's different. Julianna loves to cuddle and albeit it a squirmy experience at times...it's definitely a cuddle. I love that!
Through the good, the bad, and some days more ugly than snugly...we live, we love, and ultimately thrive together as a family. Some days I feel I am trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. But, usually it takes nothing more than some prayer, a good night's sleep and a fresh start to work it out. Time is one thing I will never be able to get back. I try to remember that every morning and make each day something I can be proud of ...even if the only thing I get out of it is "what to do differently next time." : )