I must have been having a "spunky" type day about a month ago because I purchased a "Hip-Hop/Cardiokickboxing" dvd set. I say spunky because you have to remember who I am...I'm 5 ft 10 inches tall. Girls my height don't make compact movements. We don't do triple lutzes or toe-touches or pretty much flips of any kind. Don't get me wrong, we can be graceful. We just can't be jiggy.
I'm the girl who chose non-contact, no-coordination-needed sports in high school like track, cross-country, and one season of swimming. All for good reason. I tend to make seriously large, exaggerated movements while dancing which has resulted in my sister dubbing me "The Whirling Dervish."
But, I was feeling spunky so I popped that dvd in yesterday with Jules in tow and said "Let the games begin!" I guess I should have seen it coming when the "hip-hopper" seemed unusually enthusiastic. Or perhaps I could have picked up on it when the "life-line" move (or basic dance step) seemed terribly confusing. Julianna apparently picked up on it because she vacated floor and climbed onto the couch. At one point she even asked, "Momma, you dancing?" It was definitely more of a question than a statement. I managed through the ten minutes opener and I even ventured through a second, ten minute routine. I'll be honest. It wasn't pretty. The music said "J Lo" and my body movements said "Cotton Eyed Joe." I think I am missing something, I think it's called "flava." And, (Monique) I'm pretty sure homey don't play that.
Don't think that's the last of it, though. Nope. I am gonna practice that stuff. And you better just watch out. The next wedding or cruise or just large family gathering, we'll see who's got the flava. So watch out.
Yeah.
True that.