Just after lunch today, Julianna asked if she could have some ice cream. As I sat trying to decided how I would tell her no I remembered how years ago mom would surprise me now and then and ask if I wanted some ice cream in my Rice Krispies. : ) Times were tight back then and ice cream any time of the day or week was a main event. And, Ice cream in the cereal was...well...pretty fantastic! So, as I looked at my little sweetie's very hopeful eyes I took out the small container, opened it, and got a little treat of my own. Just identifiable was a heart. I couldn't help but to stop and think about the small things in life that are sometimes really big things in disguise. You know those things? Memories, words, times that for some reason resonate for years to come. It reminded me of all the blessings I have, of a more innocent time in my own life, random acts of kindness and generosity, of my mom and all her special surprises, of this special time I have to raise my girls, and how I hope to create special memories for them. (Feel free to bust out a few choruses of Julie Andrews singing "These are a few of my favorite things" after reading this. You know you want to.)
.
HE LIFTED ME OUT OF THE SLIMY PIT, OUT OF THE MUD AND MIRE; HE SET MY FEET UPON A ROCK AND GAVE ME A FIRM PLACE TO STAND. -PSALM 40:2
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
Simple Pleasures & Grateful Hearts
Just after lunch today, Julianna asked if she could have some ice cream. As I sat trying to decided how I would tell her no I remembered how years ago mom would surprise me now and then and ask if I wanted some ice cream in my Rice Krispies. : ) Times were tight back then and ice cream any time of the day or week was a main event. And, Ice cream in the cereal was...well...pretty fantastic! So, as I looked at my little sweetie's very hopeful eyes I took out the small container, opened it, and got a little treat of my own. Just identifiable was a heart. I couldn't help but to stop and think about the small things in life that are sometimes really big things in disguise. You know those things? Memories, words, times that for some reason resonate for years to come. It reminded me of all the blessings I have, of a more innocent time in my own life, random acts of kindness and generosity, of my mom and all her special surprises, of this special time I have to raise my girls, and how I hope to create special memories for them. (Feel free to bust out a few choruses of Julie Andrews singing "These are a few of my favorite things" after reading this. You know you want to.)