Julianna is...
- ...3 years, 8 months, and two days old. : ) Wow.
- ...also very interested in knowing where daddy is, waiting for daddy to come home, helping daddy with projects around the house, etc. etc. etc.
- ...ponders the world daily. Asks tons of questions about every aspect of her world. In addition, it's nearly impossible to read more than one book in a sitting with her. Especially if the book has detailed drawings. "What's that mom? Why is she sad? Where is he going? Why is the bee sitting on her nose? Will the bee bite her? Why doesn't she run away? What kind of food is that they are eating? Can I eat that? Are they friends or not friends? Did I do that when I was a baby?" The list goes on and on and on. She really loves those Jamie Lee Curtis books with Laura Cornell drawings. The drawings are ever so detailed. I did begin enforcing a rule stating she must wait until after I read ALL the words on the page before asking questions. ; )
- ...has a very tender heart. She is truly moved by the plight of others. When someone is wronged, she aches for that person (unless it's Ava who has just taken her tutu and to whom Jules has just closed the door on). For example, we saw a little bird flying around in the rafters at Sam's club several weeks ago. The bird did make a few distressed sounds. Jules immediately worried for the little bird. She noticed there was only one and concluded he/she was lonely. The birds family would be wondering where he/she was. She begged me at length to notify someone who worked at Sam's to get the bird down and take he/she outside. She wanted to know how he got in to Sam's. For DAYS (I am so not joking) she asked about the bird. All the while she had a furled brow each and every time we discussed "The bird."
- ...is very shy with anyone outside the family and is even sensitive to Chad and I. For example, if Chad and I express too much excitement, joy, surprise, humor, etc... Julianna acts so embarrassed. "Mom mom mom. No. stop. MOM!" When we are excited about a new accomplishment, we can never be TOO excited. If she is singing a song or telling a story, we can never think it's TOO cute or TOO funny or TOO just about anything. We've learned to mind our manners with because if we continue on acting (what we call "normal") Julianna becomes very upset with us. Goodness. I hope this is a stage. Please tell me this is a stage. : )
- ...wants to be a part of the big adventure. She loves helping with any project going on in the house. I installed some hooks in our laundry room to help with the hanging up process. Jules was with me every step of the way. "Do you need the measuring tape mom? What's this called? Oh. Okay. Do you need the level? How long is that mom? We need six and thirty inched I think." : ) Beyond precious. She helped me measure, level the 1 x 4s, hold the wood steady to drill holes, handed me any tool I needed...it was awesome. We all have certain things we want to instill in our children. I have a whole list of 'em. And, one of those things is that my girls see their mother building, creating, fixing, persevering through a tough project and coming out on the other side. I want them to know that women can use power tools if they want to. My mom gave this gift to me and I often think of her and all the things I know how to do...just because I saw her do them growing up.
- ...has become much more interested in pre-school types of academics. (Which I am really thankful for). I try not to push her much. I try to let her lead most of her learning at this age. But, sometimes I feel very impatient. Jules knows when I want her to do something and often times it's then she resists the most. I try all my creative ways and words and charm. We have good days and days I would rather not repeat. : ) Another work in progress. : )
- ...is developing a fondness for quiet time. Though, we are in the very beginning phase of it. Mostly, she wants to be right at my side, all day, every day, through thick and thin. : )
- ...is a very loving sister. She truly enjoys Ava and loves playing with her. She thinks Ava is hilarious. Some of her favs with Ava are: wagon rides, chasing around the house, shaping Ava's hair into funny hair-doos in the tub, and reading books in the big blue story chair together.
- ...that being said Julianna has developed a new little attitude when things don't roll quite the way she wants them to. The hand goes on the hip, the bottom row of teeth stick out, and I hear a "UH! What is the problem? That is NOT perfect." Cute and yet not so cute all at the same time.