.

HE LIFTED ME OUT OF THE SLIMY PIT, OUT OF THE MUD AND MIRE; HE SET MY FEET UPON A ROCK AND GAVE ME A FIRM PLACE TO STAND. -PSALM 40:2


Thursday, February 7, 2008

Sick

I had hoped that by the end of the week I would have something more uplifting to post about than all of us being sick. (And I mean sick) The girls picked up a cold on the way or while we were vacationing in the artic midwest last week. It seemed to be no biggy. Their fevers never went above 102.2 or so. They slept fairly well through the night. They took naps. Since strep had been going around, we had the weekend approaching, and our flight was leaving Monday morning I wanted to get them seen and tested. But the dr's verdict was a viral infection and to let it pass.

Saturday morning I woke feeling a little funny but I figured it was the fatigue of the week and the cold weather. By the evening I was achy with chills and had a very sore throat. Chad did his best to care for the girls while I slept most of the night. Unfortunately, he got hit hard Sunday night. I have rarely seen Chad sick. Even through all his training for the Marines (it's cold outside in northern Virginia in January), through weeks out in the rain on the gun line, and staying up all night with little nourishment other than MREs and tobascco sauce...I've never seen him flinch. Until Sunday night. Still not up to par I alternated sleep with rocking Ava back to sleep and then Jules and then Ava. It wasn't a horrible night. But, it wasn't great either.

We made it on the flight. Though, we were seriously having some doubts about how it would go. As it turns out, it went pretty well. We were all so tired and sick that we just kind of sat there. Ava slept some and Jules laid her head on Chad. You know she's sick when she volunteers to lay down. So two hours on the flight- down. Then a LONG, LONG drive home.

Jules, who hadn't been running a fever for five days debuted at 103.2 (Ava followed yesterday) Tuesday morning. I made appointments for everyone. Jules tested negative for flu type a and b and negative to strep. (She really loved that cotton swab down her throat) But, Chad tested positive for flu type b. The second case around these part this year. Yea. Bascially, the dr's think we've had three cold/flus in the passed week. Chad and I = flu. Jules and Ava #1 = viral infection. Jules and Ava # 2 = viral infection. The whole thing is baffling to me and aggravating. Those of you who know me know that I do just about anything to avoid my kids getting sick. We've had really one major cold/ear infection this year. I was feeling pretty happy about that. Until this week. I haven't been this sick in 8 years. Seriously.

In the mean time, Chad is taking Tamiflu since his symptoms were still within the time frame. Mine weren't so I got some antibiotics to treat a secondary infection. Which I could actually feel starting to work last night almost by the minute.

I have completely lost my voice and I have a lovely thick coating of heaven knows what on my throat. Yum. I had a particularly elegant moment Wednesday morning when I woke up unable to breath (or so I thought at the moment). I proceeded to make some seagull-like calls, threw myself out of bed and onto the floor. Chad lighted from sleep and hearing that I was getting some air concluded that I was in a state of panic (since I had good color and was coughing). YOU CAN BREATH JEN. I honestly started thinking things like...am I going to pass out? who's going to take care of the girls? Drama, drama, drama. : ) But, that gives you an idea of the state we were in at our house. Sick. Sick. Sick.

So next year. Flu shots for Chad and I. None for the girls since they have egg issues. We realized this was the first time in a while we hadn't gotten them.

In the meantime, my mom (my heorine) is in route. We told her we could make it and we should be turning the bend soon. But, you know how moms are. I wasn't going to ask her. I do have to admit though, I felt an instant sense of relief knowing she was on the way. : )