.

HE LIFTED ME OUT OF THE SLIMY PIT, OUT OF THE MUD AND MIRE; HE SET MY FEET UPON A ROCK AND GAVE ME A FIRM PLACE TO STAND. -PSALM 40:2


Thursday, August 9, 2007

Our Corner of the World

So, I forgot to tell you about the new things Ava is up to these days. First, Chad got his first "dah-dah" a week ago. She made a concerted effort to say it three times to make sure we understood she meant business. Second, she sat herself up yesterday. Yup. From tummy to sitting up/all proud of myself position. Third, she's getting up on all fours and has made many attempts to coordinate her movements. We've gotten as far as one scoot. Then a tumble follows. Julianna loves when she gets up to attempt a crawl. She usually yells, "I'n gonna jump over Ava!" Which of course is redirected immediately! : ) Fourth, well...she's just not very content it seems these days. We're in the transition time of being able to pick things up TO sit up TO not yet crawling TO not always comfortable laying on my tummy or my back or sitting up. She's wanting the scenery to change rather quickly and I'm not always able to keep pace. Plus, I'm learning all too well that it's easy to forget about her schedule in the wake of a toddler. With Jules I was able to predict when she would be hungry. With Ava I think, "Hmm. She's fussy because...Oh, she probably wanted a snack about thirty minutes ago." With the addition of solids, I'm trying to figure out how much she wants to nurse, too. At one point I was wondering if I wasn't feeding her enough...or too much... One thing is for certain, if I'm in the room- she wants to be in my arms.

Julianna is all about going to "Cool" (school) these days. She wants to take her "pack-pack" and "wunch box," too. Since we are wanting her to have more peer interaction we've found the perfect solution. It will be four hours per week. I hope she just loves it!

Julianna's latest love is t.v. She's always liked watching a video here and there. But, in our new rental house the t.v. is on the main level (before it was in the basement/hard to get to). Every bit of time that I don't have planned she asks sweetly, "Please, just a little tv?" Sometimes she handles the "no" well...other times it's the end of civilization as we know it. PBS Kids and Disney are of course her favorites. And, I have to say I've laughed out loud during a couple of Hannah Montana episodes. And yet, I just loathe the idea of her watching tv regularly. I so see how it can become a babysitter for children. It won't take me I alive I say! It's just so very tempting to turn it on if I have to make a phone call or cook or etc. I'm battling it out in my head at the present time. How much, when, how to I monitor this without being a bad gal?

In other news, Jules is quite taken with music and making up her own songs. My personal favorite remains, "I'm Not a Princess Anymore." Today she sang a soft ballad entitled, "It's a Child's Choice." ? Her favorite song for me to sing is "Matchmaker" from Fiddler on the Roof. Today, she took the tune of "I Like to Eat Eat Eat Apples and Bananas" and made up her own lyrics. I was impressed. And, any day of the week she'll chime in with B-I-N-G-O, Only A Boy Named David, Zachias, Mr. Sun, Where is Thumbkin?, and Pop Goes the Weasel. While singing she loves to somersault and hop. What a little monkey. : )