This afternoon I was in a pretty unfriendly mood. The girls and I had many, many errands to run, the sun was beginning to set, we hadn't eaten dinner and I began this huge pity party for myself because all I wanted to do was go out to eat with the girls and Chad was working and I can't take them out because of their allergies and the last few times Julianna's lips have swollen even after we quality controlled the food, spoke to the kitchen manager and to this day don't have a clue as to why she had a reaction and I just became very angry we couldn't get some pizza. RIGHT NOW! (Breath). Then I made an executive decision. At out last stop, I fed them some turkey meat at the deli counter, some crackers in aisle 4, and soymilk aisle 15. So there. We ate out.
Once we got home, I fixed something more appropriate and we sat at the table. When I went to the kitchen for seconds I turned to watch my two little girls exchanging in a most delightful and quirky and heartwarming conversation:
Jules: (leaning over and in a serious voice): "Ava."
Ava: (looks up)
Jules: "I need you to make me a promise."
Ava: "Nope."
Jules: "Ava. I am talking to you. I am your sister and you will listen to me now."
Ava: "Shoes."
Jules: "Ava. When mommy gives us a cookie later you need to share half with me. Half of your cookie."
Ava: "ookee."
Jules: "You will get to be a princess if you share your cookie with me."
Ava: (begins to eat again)
Jules: "Do this with your head if you said yes." (nods her head)
Ava: (nods her head because she does everything Julianna does)
Ava: (the nodding causes Ava to BURP loudly and unexpectedly)
Jules: (throwing her head back and laughing) "Ava! You are a burping girl today! You are so sil-wee!"
Ava: (realizing she has done something funny, laughs heartily at herself and attempts to make a second burping noise)
Jules: "Oh Ava. You are my sister and you like to burp. I love you everyday." (then reaches for some of Ava's food on Ava's plate because Jules finished her food twenty minutes earlier, Ava screams, Julianna's hand retracts, both girls are calm, and quiet rests on the little house)
I laughed to myself and in that moment, I was truly thankful I wasn't sitting in a loud restaurant waiting for food to be delivered to my table. I thanked God for my blessings and the trials which have and will make me stronger. I thanked God my children have food to eat, can feed themselves, and I am here in our home making it for them. It was that simple.