.

HE LIFTED ME OUT OF THE SLIMY PIT, OUT OF THE MUD AND MIRE; HE SET MY FEET UPON A ROCK AND GAVE ME A FIRM PLACE TO STAND. -PSALM 40:2


Saturday, January 19, 2008

Bringing Back Rainbow Brite

Julianna sporting the latest in "retro" fashion. It reminds be of a simpler time.


I am not sure when it happened. But everything from my childhood suddenly became "retro." The reality of it set in when I was shopping in the cd aisle the other day. The first metaphorical sound wave hit as I talked with a young woman working at the store. I asked her where I could find Phil Collins Greatest Hits.
.
"Oh, yeah. That's "old school easy listening." Right?"
.
Um, scuz me? Since when do I listen to "easy listening." And hold on there just a darn minute little sassafras. Old school? My memory panned to a vision of Phil Collins and his rapidly depleting hair line. At that moment I realized the vision was actually from 1989. I was then forced to asked myself the inevitable. Was Phil Collins even alive?
.
Arming myself for musical battle I tried to impress her with my knowledge of current musicians. Um. Hm. Areosmith? U2? Janet Jackson? Ace of Base? C&C Music Factory? Roxette? Fruit Salad (Yummy, Yummy)? Clearly I was making no headway. I think it was at that point that she made a comment about 80s hits being "two decades old." Second wave hits.
.
Though I was tempted to belt out a couple of lines from songs I had heard on the radio just that very day (not that I knew the name of them OR had the foggiest idea who sang them AND even though most of what I actually listened to was classical (what?!))...I refrained.
.
I bowed out gracefully with an "I'm not really sure what I am looking for. I'll just browse a little. Thanks."
.
And I moved on.
.
I forgave her.
.
It was big of me.
.
(I just figured that someone living in the deprived state of not even knowing who Roxette was deserved a little grace.)
.
As if.